[geeks] Big-screen PC Laptop suggestions?

wa2egp at att.net wa2egp at att.net
Mon Jul 2 22:35:30 CDT 2007

From: Micah R Ledbetter <vlack-lists at vlack.com>

> On Jun 29, 2007, at 13:41, Sheldon T. Hall wrote:
>
> > It looks like my wife and I are going to move to France for a year.
> > Shipping stuff over there, only to ship it back, is an expensive
> > proposition, so I'm looking for a portable replacement for her
> > desktop.
> > Something small enough to carry on the plane, but it doesn't have
> > to be
> > small or light to carry around as a general thing.
> >
> > In particular, I'm looking for a "laptop" with a big screen, since
> > that's
> > the thing she mentions first.  A normal (not widescreen) diagonal
> > measurement of 17" or larger.  The only other "gotta have" is a PS/2
> > keyboard connection, unless the laptop comes with a Quebecois
> > keyboard.  It
> > has to run WinXP, of course.
> >
> > I'm open to specific suggestions (model numbers, etc.), offers, etc.
>
> A lot of people I know all recommend Dell and HP... but I disagree
> with them.
>
> Personally, if I'm going to buy a PC laptop, it'll be IBM or nothing.
> This is due to my own experience: IBMs are solid, and they seem to
> ship with less of the crapware that comes on the consumer Dell and HP
> laptops (I guess this might depend on the model, so YMMV). I've seen
> Dells and Sagers fail in a shorter time than an IBM seems to. My
> (former) boss, one of the "I can kill any electronic device, just
> give me a week" variety, hasn't managed to do any damage to his IBM,
> and it's been years.
>
> My dad, who works in a corporate environment, sees IBMs, HPs, and
> Dells all the time. The HPs and Dells are crappy, with flimsy plastic
> and connectors, and the IBMs just keep on chugging.
>
> Of course, YMMV.
>
>   - Micah

Guess it depends  on which series you get.  My son's high school demands
students to buy T50 series (I believe) from them.  One third of them had
hard drive failures within two months.  My son has been plagued with
problems like the power connector in the laptop failing to numerous
memory problems.  After two years, I think we have the problems solved.

I have an HP zv6000 and, yes, its case is a little flimsy.  A plastic trim
piece did crack and it is starting to crack in another spot but electrically
is has been a dream.  This is after dragging it to school every day
for two years.  A relative of mine has one for the same amount of time with
no physical damage.  Yes, YMMV :)

Bob