[geeks] Just picked up an HP 5Si MX, few questions...

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Wed Jan 31 12:18:17 CST 2007

>From: Sridhar Ayengar <ploopster at gmail.com>
>Date: 2007/01/31 Wed AM 11:53:00 CST
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] Just picked up an HP 5Si MX, few questions...

<snip>

>A pretty good deal.  The only reasons I didn't go with something similar
>myself is that I finally decided on getting color, and this printer
>takes waay too much power for my taste.

Well, this is recent enough to support power saving (Energy Star), so I'm OK leaving it on...

<snip regaring 11x17 support>

>Yeah.  That's always a nice feature.  Although I think probably the
>nicest thing about this particular model is the speed.

A stated 24 pages/minute - I decided to risk $24 on 3x 32 Meg DIMMs reported to work specifically with this printer module (96 Meg seems to be the max, given one socket is occupied by Postscript SIMM. I want the memory to act as a print job cache, as I like to print long jobs then turn off my laptop before it finishes... Also, it seems I need to upgrade the RAM to support duplex printing with Postscript (duplexer is included in my printer). I also like that I can stuff REAMs and REAMs of paper in it (tray 2 and 3 each hold one ream, Tray 4 holds several reams), so I won't have to store paper next to the printer (I can put half a paper case IN the printer ;^).

<snip HD of value>

>If memory serves, it only matters work workgroup use, because all it
>does is increase the font and document queue capacities.  How many
>people are going to be printing to it simultaneously?

>From what I've been able to gleen, it seems that the HD is for holding preformatted forms and fonts - doesn't seem worthwhile to me, esp. give this printer will spend 99% of it's uptime in sleep mode, and the other 1% serving jobs for one or two users.

I'm thinking about an Envelope feeder as well, for maximum Bling-Bling...