[geeks] Sempron 64

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Wed Jan 31 10:54:46 CST 2007

>From: Sridhar Ayengar <ploopster at gmail.com>
>Date: 2007/01/31 Wed AM 12:51:23 CST
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: [geeks] Sempron 64

>I'm about to pick up an upgrade motherboard for an el-cheapo web-server
>I have kicking around here and I was looking at the Newegg combos.
>
>I have a choice between the Sempron 64 2800+ @1.6GHz w/256kB cache, or
>the Sempron 64 3000+ @1.8GHz w/256kB cache.
>
>The prices are so close as to be effectively identical.  Anyone know
>which one would be faster?  The AMD "speed rating" indicates that the
>3000+ would be faster, but I don't know how much of that is marketing
>bullshit.

Can't speak to speed differences (I'm not strong on AMD models), but as another data point, I just picked up one of these for $79 at the local Micro Center, and it includes a Semperon M 2800+, MB, and CPU fan, ready to go. MicroATX format, 2x PCI and 1x AGP (not sure of AGP speed), but is does support Solaris 10 (I ran the system check-out CD from Sun out of curiousity):

http://microcenter.com/byos/byos_single_product_results.phtml?product_id=253251

Seems pretty good, has 20 pin power plug, and requires a 4 pin power adapter if your PS won't break the right way (20+4, seperate sockets), they have the adapter for $1.99:

http://microcenter.com/byos/byos_single_product_results.phtml?product_id=221350

HTH,

Lionel