[geeks] Vista cost

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Wed Jan 31 09:25:14 CST 2007

On Tue, Jan 30, 2007 at 11:24:45PM -0600, Lionel Peterson wrote:

> >> I'd avoid older P3 laptops, because they *typically* only support 512
> >> Meg of RAM, and I suspect you'd want more on the laptop these
> >> days... (esp. for XP Pro SP2)
> >
> >Of course, that makes P3s more affordable for people wanting Linux
> >laptops.
>
> True, but since Mr. Bill's only clue to what he's using for is that he will
> run Win XP SP2 (Professional I assume), so Linux is not a consideration for
> him in this case...

Certainly a P3 laptop is unlikely to meet Amy's needs.  I just was
generally rejoicing for those of us who would rather not have Windows on
a laptop.

> >Last I looked there was a Refurb for $800.  I suspect that MrBill was
> >looking for less than that though.
>
> He was, but *he* raised MacBook as an option, I was really agreeing
> with him,  and (implying) my support for refurb MacBook over a new one
> (easy way to save  money, typically about 21%, but on the previous
> generation hardware). Another consideration is that the MacBook refurb
> would likely not be Core 2 Duo (if that matters)...

Last I looked, the Apple store a single refurbed Core 2 Duo, but it was
a premium model.  I'm trying to keep an eye on that since I think I will
be getting one for Deb in the near future, but I also think I'm going to
insist on Core 2 Duo, in hopes that 64-bit support is worth it when
Leopard comes out.

OTOH, for someone sticking with Windows, XP x64 edition is a real PIA,
and Vista x64 sounds like it has even more device restrictions than
Vista 32bit, so maybe lack of 64bit support is unlikely to matter on a
windows laptop for a long time.

--
Joshua D. Boyd
jdboyd at jdboyd.net