[geeks] nerd reading for a Friday night ... old-skool waxed

Phil Stracchino phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net
Wed Jan 31 06:54:16 CST 2007

Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 31, 2007 at 07:24:21AM -0500, Phil Stracchino wrote:
>> Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
>>> uunet!gsm001
>> Bang path from where, though...?
>
> UUNET. The most expensive ISP there ever was, long before there were
> ISPs.  Actually it was uunet!gsm001!<user name> but I thought that
> was obivous. Obviously it was not.

Well, yeah, since pretty much every site knew how to get to uunet, a
path from uunet was pretty safe.  My point was just that on many sites,
it wasn't enough to know where you were going to define the bangpath,
you also needed to know where you were starting from.  You could "get
there from here", but often you had to know where "here" was first.

--
 It's not the years, it's the mileage.
 Phil Stracchino              phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net
 Landline: 603-429-0220                Mobile: 603-320-5438