[geeks] Sempron 64

Sridhar Ayengar ploopster at gmail.com
Wed Jan 31 01:21:57 CST 2007

Phil Brutsche wrote:
> Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
>> I'm about to pick up an upgrade motherboard for an el-cheapo web-server
>> I have kicking around here and I was looking at the Newegg combos.
>>
>> I have a choice between the Sempron 64 2800+ @1.6GHz w/256kB cache, or
>> the Sempron 64 3000+ @1.8GHz w/256kB cache.
>>
>> The prices are so close as to be effectively identical.  Anyone know
>> which one would be faster?  The AMD "speed rating" indicates that the
>> 3000+ would be faster, but I don't know how much of that is marketing
>> bullshit.
>
> If you're looking at the same ones I am, there's no BS, the 3000+ will
> be faster - maybe imperceptibly, but it will be.

If you're looking at the Socket 754 "Palermo" chips, then yes.  I'd love
to get a Socket 939 set, but there don't seem to be any deals on ATX
(need all 5 PCI slots) AGP (so I don't have to pick up a graphics card)
Socket 939 motherboards.

I'm looking at that BioStar combo deal.  The board looks pretty nice,
and I'm not going to be using the on-board LAN or disk interfaces, which
tend to be the junkiest parts of

> At the extreme low-end CPUs tend to work that way, a measly $5 raises
> your lock rate a step or two.

Ok.  It's decided, then.  I'll pick up the 3000+.

Peace...  Sridhar