[geeks] Vista cost

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Tue Jan 30 23:24:45 CST 2007

>From: Joshua Boyd <jdboyd at jdboyd.net>
>Date: 2007/01/30 Tue PM 06:01:08 CST
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] Vista cost

>On Tue, Jan 30, 2007 at 05:53:26PM -0600, Lionel Peterson wrote:
>
>> A new Lenovo laptop would be pricey, but they make nice hardware...
>
>A new Lenovo *Thinkpad* would be nice hardware.

Noted.

<snip>

>> I'd avoid older P3 laptops, because they *typically* only support 512
>> Meg of RAM, and I suspect you'd want more on the laptop these
>> days... (esp. for XP Pro SP2)
>
>Of course, that makes P3s more affordable for people wanting Linux
>laptops.

True, but since Mr. Bill's only clue to what he's using for is that he will
run Win XP SP2 (Professional I assume), so Linux is not a consideration for
him in this case...

<snip>

>Last I looked there was a Refurb for $800.  I suspect that MrBill was
>looking for less than that though.

He was, but *he* raised MacBook as an option, I was really agreeing with him,
and (implying) my support for refurb MacBook over a new one (easy way to save
money, typically about 21%, but on the previous generation hardware). Another
consideration is that the MacBook refurb would likely not be Core 2 Duo (if
that matters)...

Lionel