[geeks] nerd reading for a Friday night ... old-skool waxed

Dave Fischer dave at cca.org
Tue Jan 30 17:16:04 CST 2007

shannon at widomaker.com writes:

>Still, Coherent was a very good learning system, and I'm amazing at how
>much stuff I did with each process limited to 128K.  Or, was it 64K?  I
>can't remember.

64k code + 64K data. Since 286 virtual memory never worked right
they attemped to do memory protection at compile time, by limiting
you to one memory segment. Worked ok, unless you corrupted the stack
and jumped to a random location and started the executing the data
there as code...

------ David Fischer -------- dave at cca.org -------- http://www.cca.org ------
See Jungle! See Jungle! Go Join Your Gang, Yeah! City All Over, Go Ape Crazy!