[geeks] Gigabit Ethernet

Phil Brutsche phil at tux.obix.com
Mon Jan 29 14:59:16 CST 2007

Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
>> If the GigE and 10baseT devices are on separate VLANs all will be well.
>
> So if there's two VLAN's on the network and the two Gig E devices are on
> both of them, and they talk to the 10BASE-T device over the standard-MTU
> VLAN, and to each other over the jumbo-VLAN, everything should work ok, no?

If you have 2 different network cards in the GigE devices (one for
jumbo, another for non-jumbo) then yea.

If you use tagged VLANs then the devices running with jumbo frames will
still generate jumbo frames for the VLAN the 10baseT device is on.

>> What model of ProCurve? The "value" switches (ie 2510-24, 2810-24G, etc)
>> are the only ones to not support L3 switching.
>
> I believe it's the ProCurve 1800-8G.

Doh! That's one of the web-managed value switches.

I was thinking you had something larger, say a ProCurve 2824.

--

Phil Brutsche
phil at tux.obix.com