[geeks] Vista cost

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Mon Jan 29 13:49:12 CST 2007

Just to interject an actual data point from MS, the install of * Home UPGRADE editions of Vista will not be possible without an underlying OS install (not media, actual install):

MB Knowledgebase article:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/930985/en-us

I've heard reports that the non-Home upgrade keys will work to install on bare metal (Business, Professional, whatever they call it now/tomorrow).

Remember, with Vista, EVERYONE gets the same media (install or upgrade), the difference is the product key you use to install it, that determines the features/capabilities that are installed. I forsee a great "hack" to allow everyone with a Vista Install/Upgrade DVD to upgrade to any version they want - reminds me of the Office '97 fiasco at MS - they gave away time-limited CDs for free at Kinkos (?), and it turned out there was ONE FILE different between the full-blown licensed product and the time-limited version, so after downloading that one file, you had a copy of Office '97 for free...