[geeks] nerd reading for a Friday night ... old-skool waxed

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Mon Jan 29 13:09:51 CST 2007

Sandwich Maker wrote:
> " From: Bill Bradford <mrbill at mrbill.net>
> "
> " The first system I ever owned that ran a proper UNIX (not Linux, which
> " was in the 0.99.13 kernel era at the time; 1995) was a UnixPC.
> "
> " I thought it was so cool that I could plug in its (1200 baud) modem, then
> " dial out from the modem bank at work (an ISP) and log in remotely to my
> " system at home.
>
> several of us bl employees had our unixpcs networked into work via
> uucp.  it was awesome to print something on my home system and find it
> at the lineprinter at work in the morning!

Oh yeah.

I was on UUCP for years, and I have to admit I was enough of a complete
geek to be thrilled beyond belief that I could send files or print
something, and find the results at another system when I drove there.

Yes, the first few weeks I would print things at home and drive to a
remote site to get it.