[geeks] nerd reading for a Friday night ... old-skool waxed

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Sun Jan 28 18:56:11 CST 2007

" From: wa2egp at att.net
"
" > Has anyone here ever seen one of the MIPS-based 3B2s? I really
" > wish they hadn't canceled that project.
"
" No. I haven't.  I wish they hadn't stopped the plans for the
" UnixPC with a color screen either.

now i'm getting all nostalgic.  3b2s were what i first moved to
sysadminship on, and a unixpc was the first personal computer i
actually used much.  i was at bell labs and got one on employee
discount when they were discontinued, and pissed as hell when i saw a
major reseller offering them later for $200 -less-, but att had their
comeuppance - centrex services on one of their small pbxes, based on
the unixpc, were much more popular than they expected and they had to
buy lots of machines back.

one was my main machine for 7 years.  it's still parked in my basement
somewhere.