[geeks] Vista cost

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Sun Jan 28 13:51:28 CST 2007

On Sun, Jan 28, 2007 at 02:28:46PM -0500, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.html#response
> People with nearly brand new machines are finding that encrypted HDMI
> either isn't supported or has very high resource costs even on new
> machines.  Evidently this stuff is already being enforced, despite
> rumors that it would be years before we saw DRM becoming serious.

You know what else sucks?  We went out last night to buy Amy a new
laptop.  Almost NONE of the stores we went to (CompUSA, Best Buy) had
ANY laptops in stock, or only had the loss-leaders with 15" screens
(bigger than what we want).  CompUSA even had tons of signs "Available
for purchase after January 30th".

Even if we'd *WANTED* to come home with a laptop last night, it was
just about impossible to buy something nearing the config we wanted.

This is all because no retailers want to have laptops with XP preloaded
for sale or left in stock after Vista comes out.

We're going to end up buying something after the 30th, blowing away
Vista, and putting XP SP2 on it...

Bill

--
Bill Bradford