[geeks] Sun to adopt newest Intel Xeon chips for upcoming servers (link)

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sat Jan 27 19:29:43 CST 2007

Sridhar Ayengar wrote:

>>> The problem is that a single 8800GTX is faster than the dual-GPU 7950GX2.
>> The used 7800s and 7900s are still selling on eBay for more than I can
>> justify as gamebox budget.
>
> If it comes below $175 for a 7950GX2, then I can probably justify it.  I
> would pay it off over a couple of months and I wouldn't have any problem.

I ended up getting my 7900GS KO for $150: it was $30 off and then I got
a rebate.

I figure that in a few months I'll have more money collected in my toy
fund and maybe I'll upgrade.  It's not a priority or I'd have gone ahead
and done it.

Drifting a bit to talk about software-crippled GPUS:

Even in the 7xxx series, a few manufacturers are putting high end GPUs
in low end cards, sometimes due to limited supply of GS versions, or
just to make manufacturing simpler.

It used to be very common in the 6xxx series nVidia GPUs, but almost
stopped with the 7xxx series.

You can get a 6600 or 6800 and turn it into a GT card with a simple
software program.

A 7900 GS has 20 pixel pipelines and 7 vertex units.  The 7950GT version
has 24 pixel pipelines and 8 vertex units.

Lately, several EVGA and BFG 7900GS owners have removed their heatsinks
and found that they had GT GPUs, same as the 7950/7950GT units.  They
were able to enabled the software masked pipeline and vertex units.

I wouldn't mind doing that, but I don't want to remove my heatsink.

Does anyone know if there is a way to tell exactly what GPU you have in
software without a physical check?