[geeks] Sun to adopt newest Intel Xeon chips for upcoming servers (link)

Sridhar Ayengar ploopster at gmail.com
Sat Jan 27 18:30:20 CST 2007

Phil Stracchino wrote:
>>> People are installing dual X2's in SLI mode, which gives you four GPUs.
>>>
>>> Amazing.
>> The problem is that a single 8800GTX is faster than the dual-GPU 7950GX2.
>
> The used 7800s and 7900s are still selling on eBay for more than I can
> justify as gamebox budget.

If it comes below $175 for a 7950GX2, then I can probably justify it.  I
would pay it off over a couple of months and I wouldn't have any problem.

But not that much money for a lesser card (for example, a 7950GT).  And
even if I spotted an 8800GTX for 50% off sale price, I still don't think
I could justify that.  Especially since the processor is an Athlon 64 X2
3800+.

Peace...  Sridhar