[geeks] nerd reading for a Friday night ... old-skool waxed

Dave Fischer dave at cca.org
Sat Jan 27 15:59:15 CST 2007

mrbill at mrbill.net writes:

>On Sat, Jan 27, 2007 at 05:07:05PM +0000, wa2egp at att.net wrote:
>> No.  With whoever is running things now, they changed the lines somehow
>> and my DSL goes out every ten minutes or when it rains.  This nostalga
>> kick is enough for me to dig out my 3B2/1000 and start reading my
>> 1952 ARRL Mobile Manual. :)

>dammit now I want a 3b2 again.

I still have my first 3B2/300 (which was also my first home
non-personal-computer) but I used to have 2 /300's and a /400.

A few years before that, I ran about a dozen of them when I worked
for AT&T.

What's really frustrating though, is that I actually have a
complete board set + software for the VME version of the 3B2,
but there's a blown surface-mount cap on the CPU board, and
I' afraid that even if I managed to replace that, it's indicative
of deeper problems.

Has anyone here ever seen one of the MIPS-based 3B2s? I really
wish they hadn't canceled that project.

------ David Fischer -------- dave at cca.org -------- http://www.cca.org ------
See Jungle! See Jungle! Go Join Your Gang, Yeah! City All Over, Go Ape Crazy!