[geeks] nerd reading for a Friday night ... old-skool waxed twine lacing

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Sat Jan 27 00:23:47 CST 2007

On Sat, Jan 27, 2007 at 12:51:23AM -0500, James Fogg wrote:
> That's way to remember terminal wiring (phones are known as terminals).
> The first pair is red/green, green=tip, red=ring, red/ring/rib is on the
> right side of the terminal block. The "rib" reference is for the street
> feed cable (known variably as the drop cable), which is entirely black
> and often injected with silicone oil or gel. One side of the
> zip-cord-like cable is ribbed and is the ring signal. Ring and Tip refer
> to the two sections of a phone jack as used on a switchboard (and head
> phones, and in monaural audio system work even today). This all assumes
> a hybrid circuit as used in a house. If it's a commercial 4 wire E&M
> circuit then the second order pair is involved too (yellow/black).
> I love phone stuph.

My main bathroom reading now is the 2nd edition of Engineering and
Operations in the Bell System, circa '84.  I LOVE THAT SHIT.

I have the '77 edition too, but the '84 version is even neater.  They
did it as the "final" edition, as there's a preface note about the
consent decree/breakup.

Am I the only person who thought that things worked better when AT&T
was in charge of it all from end to end?

Also see: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrbill/sets/72057594139972399/
and http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrbill/sets/72057594138809478/

Bill

--