[geeks] nerd reading for a Friday night ... old-skool waxed twine lacing

James Fogg James at jdfogg.com
Fri Jan 26 23:51:23 CST 2007

> I *still* have this burned into my skull:
>
> "orange white, orange, green white, blue, blue white green,
> brown white,  brown" [0]
>
> Bill

And don't forget Red-Right-Ring-Rib.

That's way to remember terminal wiring (phones are known as terminals).
The first pair is red/green, green=tip, red=ring, red/ring/rib is on the
right side of the terminal block. The "rib" reference is for the street
feed cable (known variably as the drop cable), which is entirely black
and often injected with silicone oil or gel. One side of the
zip-cord-like cable is ribbed and is the ring signal. Ring and Tip refer
to the two sections of a phone jack as used on a switchboard (and head
phones, and in monaural audio system work even today). This all assumes
a hybrid circuit as used in a house. If it's a commercial 4 wire E&M
circuit then the second order pair is involved too (yellow/black).

I love phone stuph.