[geeks] Case locks & ATX power adapters

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Fri Jan 26 21:17:47 CST 2007

>From: Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com>
>Date: 2007/01/26 Fri PM 07:23:46 CST
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] Case locks & ATX power adapters

<snip>

>If you had a more modern power supply, you would not need those pins to
>snap off, because modern PS have a separate 4-pin vcore plug.
>
>You probably have a very early ATX supply, before they started adding
>the vcore supply.  That started happening with the Intel P4 CPUs and is
>listed as an Intel standard, but is needed for AMD as well.

Actually, what I am doing is putting a newer AMD MB with a Semperon CPU in
the case, and next I'm going to put one of these in the case:

http://microcenter.com/byos/byos_single_product_results.phtml?
product_id=253251

I found the power adapter I was looking for at the same store, $1.99/ea

>Now they have triple 12v power supplies, though almost no motherboard
>needs them.
>
>But if you look at the power requirements that are coming... wow.

I stopped looking after I found the 1KW power supply...

Lionel