[geeks] Sun to adopt newest Intel Xeon chips for upcoming servers (link)

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Thu Jan 25 13:01:49 CST 2007

Wed, 24 Jan 2007 @ 20:36 -0500, Sridhar Ayengar said:

> Joshua Boyd wrote:
>   >> Of course, the 8800 is supposed to be six times as fast as the 7900.
> >
> > I never particularly have time to do anything that might take advantage
> > of these cards.  I bought the FX5200 for the shaders and have done
> > exceedingly little with them.  The 8800 does look tempting from the
> > feature capacity, but it is way too expensive.
>
> Believe it or not, there are a bunch of gaming fanboys who are dumping
> single 7950GX2's so they can upgrade to dual 8800GTX's.  Hence, I'm
> beginning to see used 7950GX2's for something approaching reasonable money.

I figure my current motherboard will last long enough that eventually
I'll have something like that.

For now a single 7900GS is so much faster than what I had before, I'm
not worried.

I love games, 3D software, etc... but not to the point where I'd buy one
of those top-of-the-line cards.

If I had plenty of money I might not think much of it, but even if you
are at six figured, keeping up with the PC industry is an expensive
proposition.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- [governorrhea: a contagious disease that
spreads from the governor of a state downward through other offices and his