[geeks] SATA on G4 Power Mac (bootable?)

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Wed Jan 24 20:37:29 CST 2007

>From: Sandwich Maker <adh at an.bradford.ma.us>
>Date: 2007/01/24 Wed PM 05:59:01 CST
>To: geeks at sunhelp.org
>Subject: Re: [geeks] SATA on G4 Power Mac (bootable?)

<snip>

>do they still have scsi at the back?  you could thread a cable inside
>and use scsi drives...

The G4s that I have that HAD SCSI, had their controllers pulled by the admins
prior to being scrapped (these are from University Surplus) - oddly, I have a
couple G3 Macs that still have their SCSI controller - I guess I could swap
the controllers, but I think SATA would perform better (bang/buck) for large
drives...

<snip>

>wild speculation - the internal suffers from lba48 just like suns of
>the u5/u10 era do.

Yep, AFAIK that is true (one of the Macs has an IDE controller card, along
with TWO SCSI cards (one is a grappler, the other Adaptec 2940 of some
sort)...