[geeks] Sun to adopt newest Intel Xeon chips for upcoming servers (link)

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Wed Jan 24 18:39:40 CST 2007

On Wed, Jan 24, 2007 at 07:05:33PM -0500, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:

> > On a different system with a similar nvidia graphics card, lockups are
> > very rare, but not non-existant.  The same system with an earlier card
> > would allow the system to be locked up over buggy OpenGL applications.
>
> Who made the card, and which motherboard?

In that computer, the problem card was an elsa geforce3 ti 200, and the
non-problem card is some brand that I can't remeber of FX5200, but
probably isn't particularly reputable as it was $50ish.  The motherboard
is a Tyan based on 440bx, I think.

> Do you ever have cold boot issues with the card?

No.

> I've had good experiences with BFG, EVGA, and Gigabyte graphics cards.
> I've also installed a couple of Asus nVidia graphics cards and they are
> fine. Nothing special, but they work well.

Personally, if I were doing Nvidia in the near future, it would probably
be PNY.

> I've no idea about the other brands, and I'm afraid to try them out with
> my own money.

PNY is, if I'm not mistaken, owned by Nvidia.

> The 7800 and 7900 are quite fast too. I have a 7900GS now, nearly free
> because I sold off some junk to get it.

> Of course, the 8800 is supposed to be six times as fast as the 7900.

I never particularly have time to do anything that might take advantage
of these cards.  I bought the FX5200 for the shaders and have done
exceedingly little with them.  The 8800 does look tempting from the
feature capacity, but it is way too expensive.

I do think it is about time that I get a FX5200 or better for my Mac
though.  And then maybe I should use the years vacation to actually do
something interesting with it.x

--
Joshua D. Boyd
jdboyd at jdboyd.net