[geeks] SATA on G4 Power Mac (bootable?)

Michael Parson mparson at bl.org
Wed Jan 24 17:00:12 CST 2007

On Wed, Jan 24, 2007 at 03:45:46PM -0600, Lionel Peterson wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I've got a couple G4 Macs (450 & 466 MHz), and I want to up the
> performance a bit. They currently have about a gig or more of RAM, and
> without investing in a processor upgrade ($200 for a 1 GHz upgrade),
> I'm wondering if shoving in a PCI SATA controller such as this[0]
> would give me a meaningful boost in performance - anyone ever use
> one? I'd like to remove IDE drives and install a couple SATA drives,
> ideally booting off the SATA drive.

The drive in my G4 Digital Audio (733) went out a few months back, I
replaced it with a 250 gig drive from Frys, the internal IDE (ATA/66?)
controller wouldn't see the whole disk, so I hooked it up via an
external firewire case, overall, the box is faster.

I imagine SATA would be even better.

--
Michael Parson
mparson at bl.org