[geeks] New 2.5" SCSI HDs???

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Wed Jan 24 04:24:38 CST 2007

On Wed, Jan 24, 2007 at 09:45:17AM +0100, Jochen Kunz wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 18:05:47 +0000
> Mike Meredith <very at zonky.org> wrote:
>
> > As others have said, SATA is more like SCSI than IDE.
> AFAIK ATA/ATAPI is already almost SCSI over IDE cables. E.g. NetBSD
> never distinguished SCSI and ATAPI CDROMs like Linux.

I was around at the time, and there was a lot of bad feeling about
IDE CD-ROM drives. It was perceived as an attempt by Michael Dell
to foist cheap, poor performing junk on the public.

While 150k bytes per second ("single" CD speed) does not seem like much
today, the early IDE drives were barely capable of sustaining it.

PC SCSI interfaces of the time had no trouble.

I think that prejudice was carried through into the Linux Kernel.

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667  Fax ONLY: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838