[geeks] Sun to adopt newest Intel Xeon chips for upcoming servers (link)

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Tue Jan 23 17:03:15 CST 2007

Tue, 23 Jan 2007 @ 19:27 +0000, Mark Benson said:

> On 23 Jan 2007, at 11:23, Bill Bradford wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Jan 23, 2007 at 02:15:23AM -0600, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
> >> At this point, why by a Sun if it's just going to be Yet Another
> >> Intel
> >> Reference Design In An Overpriced Chassis?
> >
> > The only "reference design" system they were selling that I saw was
> > the
> > original x2100 which was a Tyan-motherboard system.
>
> The fact the only 'reference' design came from Tyan, not AMD leads me
> to believe AMD possess few reference  designs for server hardware.

AMD does make them, and has them at shows.

However, most of the time they produce a reference design and have
someone else make it. They've done this a lot more than Intel, but even
Intel does this with some boards.

Right now, AMD has a new ATI chipset board with their name on it, but
I'm not sure if you can buy it or not.

I'm curious about how the AMD/ATI deal is going to affect the use of
other video cards in their systems.

For example, I don't think you can use a dual nVidia card setup on a
Crossfire board and vice versa, but it would seem that AMD would
want a given board to work no matter what.

Given how polarized ATI and nVidia are in the market, I'm a bit worried
that we'll see a stupid standards war.

I'd hate to see it become hard to run nVidia graphics cards on AMD
systems, or ATI graphics cards on Intel systems.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["The determined programmer can write a
FORTRAN program in any language." ]