[geeks] Sun to adopt newest Intel Xeon chips for upcoming servers (link)

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Tue Jan 23 12:10:00 CST 2007

Tue, 23 Jan 2007 @ 07:46 +0000, Mark Benson said:

> Performance-wise, yeh, Intel are in front at the moment, by a yard-
> arm, but you never know what AMD have up their sleeve.

Yes, and I wouldn't call their lead a yard-arm.

AMD's 2003 technology still holds up well against Intel's 2006
technology.

After all the hype about Core 2, I was convinced I should get an Intel
PCIe board with a Core 2 CPU.  I had hit a memory speed wall with my
old socket 754 AMD system, and I gave up finding an AGP upgrade board.

However, I didn't see a Core 2 system I could afford that was much
faster than the AMD solutions.

So, I've sold off my socket 754 system and got a socket 939 system with
a dual core Opteron CPU.

An Intel Core 2 system would have been $200 more, and I was unable to
see $200 worth of performance advantage.

I'm on a budget and I was able to re-use most of my old system, so I'm
pretty happy with what I got.

Life on the trailing edge doesn't have to be slow... :)

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["Castles are sacked in war, Chieftains are
scattered far, Truth is a fixed star, Eileen aroon!" -- Gerald Griffin]