[geeks] Sun to adopt newest Intel Xeon chips for upcoming servers (link)

Mark Benson md.benson at gmail.com
Tue Jan 23 01:46:52 CST 2007

On 23 Jan 2007, at 06:32, Bill Bradford wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 22, 2007 at 06:02:42AM -0600, Lionel Peterson wrote:
>> Just an FYI, thought some here would be interested, it appears Sun
>> is going to
>> anounce later today that they are adopting Xeon processors for
>> some servers, in
>> addition to it's currnet UltraSPARC and Opteron offerings:
>
> This is a good Thing (tm); I rather like Intel's latest offerings
> (and I've
> been a Core Duo user on my Macs for a year now).

I have to say I agree with Bill, I also think this will bring a good
price point as Intel are able to offer off-the-shelf reference boards
for most server form-factors, which will require minimal re-
engineering, thus keeping development costs down.

Performance-wise, yeh, Intel are in front at the moment, by a yard-
arm, but you never know what AMD have up their sleeve. I guess by
offering both they can surf whatever wave fits, for performance or
economy. I'm pretty sure Sun's campaign for using servers with lower
power consumption will be boosted by the Intel CPU range over
Opterons also.

FWIW I wonder if they were probably able to do this by virtue of the
fact Dell have gone the opposite way recently, in a move that to me
smacked of just not asking Intel the right questions - they don't
look like they knew what Apple knew for sure.

--
Mark Benson

My Blog:
<http://mdblog.68kmac.org>
68kMac.org:
<http://www.68kmac.org>

"Introducing Macintosh Classic II - pick one out on your way past the
trash!"