[geeks] New 2.5" SCSI HDs???

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Mon Jan 22 19:29:24 CST 2007

On Mon, 22 Jan 2007, der Mouse wrote:

>> Why would there be no SCSI market?  I thought SAS was SCSI...
>
> Apparently not.  SAS is SCSI the way SATA is IDE, I gather: the
> protocol is more or less the same at the level of command and response
> packets but the underlying transport is totally different and utterly
> incompatible.

Except that, by that analogy, SATA is SCSI, too.  SATA is a subset of
SAS, which is mostly a superset of SCSI.  IDE is more-or-less an
extension of the ISA bus with a very rudimentary command protocol run
over it that was not derived from SCSI.

--
Jonathan Patschke    )   "A man who never dreams goes slowly mad."
Elgin, TX           (      --Thomas Dolby, "Valley of the Mind's Eye"