[geeks] New 2.5" SCSI HDs???

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Thu Jan 18 01:05:18 CST 2007

On Thu, 18 Jan 2007, der Mouse wrote:

> "The drives will come with a 16MB cache and a SAS interface," - what's
> SAS?

SAS (Serial Attached SCSI) and SATA (Serial ATA) are mostly the same
protocol (same connectors, same command structure), but SATA has many
features that are typically only "interesting" on servers and high-end
workstations disabled.  As far as I know, you can use SAS devices on
SATA buses (and vice-versa), but all of SATA's restrictions come along
for the ride (ie: one device per channel, no LUN support, etc.)

> Does this mean they won't be connector-compatible with older 2=" SCSI
> drives?  If so, this would make them somewhat less attractive for the
> legacy 2=" SCSI market, like those SPARCbooks and Voyagers you
> mentioned.

These drives are definitely nothing like the 2.5" SCSI notebook disks of
days past.  They're designed for -very- fast access in moderate
capacities, and the only concessions they make for conservative heat
output (and, by association, power draw) are due to them being
physically smaller and moving less mass around.

--
Jonathan Patschke  ) "Some people grow out of the petty theft of
Elgin, TX         (   childhood.  Others grow up to be CEOs and