[geeks] DST change costs

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Wed Jan 17 15:29:01 CST 2007

I spent a little time this week looking for devices around the house
that have automatic timekeeping and DST settings.

It looks like I won't lose much, since I don't have a lot of automatic
timekeepers embedded in my stuff.

I have a one year old atomic watch that becomes a paperweight this
spring. It's DST table is internal, and I doubt there is a way to change
it.

I have a Motorola v60v cell phone, but I really don't know how it tracks
time.  I am hoping the local cell network updates it with current DST
information, and it won't be an issue.

My Apple iPod does DST, but there is no reason Apple could not release a
new firmware for it to cover that.  I haven't checked on that yet.

As far as I know, those are the only things I should have any trouble
with.

The computers are the easy part: all of them just get a file update and
that's it.

Have any of the rest of you checked to see how you'll be affected?

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["We are all of us in the gutter, some of us
looking at the stars." -- Oscar Wilde]