[geeks] Warning, high voltage, no GFI.

Dan Duncan danduncan at gmail.com
Thu Jan 11 19:01:31 CST 2007

On 1/11/07, James Fogg <James at jdfogg.com> wrote:
> I believe in his part of the country neutral isn't carried out to the outlets.
> And ground ("earth" in .eu) isn't bonded to neutral. No neutral, no North
> American style GFI. Their equipment is radically different from North American
> systems.

A GFCI works by making sure the current balances.  Electrons flowing out
of the outlet should match electrons flowing back in.  If they don't, then
some of the electrons are escaping from the toaster and going through
me into my bathtub.  (I LIKE toast in the shower, ok?)

Ground doesn't actually figure into it.  You can add a GFCI to an
ungrounded outlet.
http://home.howstuffworks.com/framed.htm?parent=question117.htm&url=http://homerepair.about.com/library/electric/blgfci.htm