[geeks] Air filter material?

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Wed Jan 10 13:26:24 CST 2007

>From: "Geoffrey S. Mendelson" <gsm at mendelson.com>
>Date: 2007/01/10 Wed AM 09:27:20 CST
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] Air filter material?

>On Wed, Jan 10, 2007 at 08:44:24AM -0600, Lionel Peterson wrote:
>
>> I'm going to Apple later today to have a "Guru" help me with my new
>> MacBook Pro - it "sees" my WiFi network (lists SSIDs, has good signal in
>> menu bar, etc.), but reports no connectivity to Intenret, while other
>> computers access fine. I rebooted cable modem and cable router to no
>> avail. It gets a DHCP address, but even if I manually supply TCP/IP info
>> it doesn't work (Fixed IP, hard-code gateway, subnet, and DNS server)...
>> I suspect bad hardware - we'll see.
>
>Turn off all encryption and try again.

Never turned it on...

>Try turning on or off "interference robustness".

I'll give it a shot, but it was turned off by default.

>Does anything else work with the WiFi router. I had a problem where
>I could connect to the router and to the world. It turned out to be
>a bad cable from the router to the rest of my network.

EVERYTHING else works with the access point (Motorola 802.11g AP), that includes PCs, iBook, and another MacBook Pro which has (as far as the GUI will tell me) _identical_ settings... I've decided not to kill myself, but bow to a higher power and ask the Guru.

My 802.1g network is plain vanilla, no security, broadcast SSID, no MAC filtering, _nothing_ - I just want my "toys" to work, security is not a concern here (yet)...

I also suspect bad HW because it was an Apple Refurb of their latest model (I upgraded from Core Duo to Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro when some became available after the holiday season - for another $150 or so, I got 40 more Gig on the HD, another 512 Meg RAM, and a 25-40% faster CPU (according to Apple sale material, so it must be true!) ;^)

Thanks,

Lionel