[geeks] Type II PCMCIA CardBus question

Dan Duncan danduncan at gmail.com
Sun Jan 7 22:45:45 CST 2007

On 1/7/07, Ido Dubrawsky <idubraws at dubrawsky.org> wrote:
> I have T-Mobile for my cell provider and I recently bought a Sony
> Ericsson GC89 Wi-Fi/EDGE/GPRS card for work (I travel often between DC
> and New York and it would be useful to be able to e-mail while on the
> train).  Unfortunately my Toshiba Tecra M4 Tablet-PC specs say that the
> PCMCIA slot in the system is a 16-bit Type II PCMCIA slot.  The GC89 is
> a 32-bit card...it fits  my Dell Inspiron 6000.  I guess I'm screwed as
> far as using it in the Tecra as it doesn't slide in all the way.  Anyone
> know any better?  The T-Mobile rep is sending me a complimentary card.
> Should I ask him to send me a GC85 (it's a tri-band versus a quad-band
> but at least it's a 16-bit card)?

You could always get a cellphone and a data plan and piggyback your laptop
to your cellphone.  I do this between my SonyEricsson P800 and my
laptop or my Zaurus.  (bluetooth or IR or USB for the laptop, IR for
the zaurus.)  I've never used one of the GPRS/EDGE cards, but I assume
you pay a monthly service fee on them in addition to what you're
already paying for a cellphone.