[geeks] Backlight issues - should I use AppleCare?

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sun Jan 7 17:21:38 CST 2007

Sat, 06 Jan 2007 @ 15:37 -0600, Bill Bradford said:

> Nope, apparently the "Genuis" at the Apple Store made up his mind before
> he even UNPACKED THE MACHINE OUT OF THE BOX that any problems were caused
> by "tar buildup" (my wife is a smoker, I am not - but she doesn't use the
> machine) and were not covered under warranty.

Ah, you didn't mention anyone smoked in the house.

It does affect equipment, sometimes quite a bit, if the equipment
"inhales" enough of it.

However, there is no way the "Genius" could know that without checking,
especially if the component in question is not force-air cooled. Also,
I'd check and see if it says anywhere that Apple will not warranty
systems exposed to tobacco smoke. If it doesn't, I think you'll be OK.

Regarding tobacco smoke:

It does hurt equipment. It's all around nasty stuff. The particulate is
made up of about 150 components depending on the exact product being
used, and some of them are very tiny.

For example, components of cigarette smoke, including nicotine
molecules, will pass the oxygen/moisture valve of a hard drive and its
rotational filters.

Just something to think about before you light up around data you care
about.
> They're going to have someone look at it tomorrow, but from the way he
> wrote up the work order its not going to be covered.

Good luck.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["There is no such thing as security.  Life
is either bold adventure, or it is nothing -- Helen Keller"]