[geeks] Backlight issues - should I use AppleCare?

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Sat Jan 6 22:27:41 CST 2007

On Sun, Jan 07, 2007 at 04:15:27AM +0000, wa2egp at att.net wrote:
> I dunno Bill.  If you get that as the response from the "tech" I would just
> tell then that is a load of crap and they just don't want to give you the
> support you paid for.  Ask him for actual documentation of proof that
> cigarette smoking will do that to an LCD screen else fix it.  If necessary,
> imply legal repercussions.  The mark looks to me like the "diffuser" behind
> the LCD has a stress fracture which could be a manufactoring defect which
> takes time to develop. I've got something like that on my laptop but I think
> that was caused by some one around here "moving" my laptop rather forcefully.

I can't find a single damn thing about cigarette smoke fouling the *inside*
of an LCD.  Outside, sure - just use Windex or whatever.  But the INSIDE?

I'm waiting to see what the actual tech says tomorrow.

The way the "Genius" wrote up the work authorization order just screams
"tell him its not covered":

"ISSUE:  Display has "streak" in bottom left quadrant.  Appears to be
 foreign substance (tar).  Please inspect internally.  Optical drive
 will only read 1 out of 4 DVD-Rs.  Please determine if drive needs to
 be replaced.
 REQUIRED ACTION: Please inspect and proceed accordingly.  Explained to
 customer that foreign substance is not covered by warranty and he might
 be requoted.  Explained it can take three to five days for repair.
 Explained data is not our responsibility."

Bill

--
Bill Bradford
Houston, Texas