[geeks] KVM recommendations?

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Wed Jan 3 20:11:54 CST 2007

>From: Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at verizon.net>
>Date: 2007/01/03 Wed PM 07:58:55 CST
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] KVM recommendations?

>>From: Micah R Ledbetter <vlack-lists at vlack.com>
>>Date: 2007/01/03 Wed PM 05:52:16 CST
>>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>>Subject: [geeks] KVM recommendations?
>
>>I'd really like a four-port, USB KVM that won't switch on me unless I
>>tell it to (that is, when one machine goes to sleep or shuts down, I
>>do NOT want it to auto-switch to another machine). It will need to
>>work with Suns, Macs, PCs, etc.
>>
>>Does anyone have suggestions? Is it too much to ask that such a beast
>>also cost $50?
>>
>>Also, my dad is in need of one of these, but with only two ports.
>
>IO Gear makes a nice two-port USB PC/Mac/Sun KVM, even carried by Best Buy so
it's easy to source. It runs about $40-60, as I've seen. Not sure about a four
port version though - they have many other choices, but they are not carried
by Best Buy (Buy.com, Amazon.com, others) may have them.

>Not sure about their behaviour when the "active" system shuts off/goes to
sleep though...

Sorry for following up on my own response, but here's the link to a four port
KVM, multi-platform (PC/Mac/Sun) USB or PS/2 (includes USB cables, PS/2
optional) for $170 list:

http://www.iogear.com/main.php?loc=product&Item=GCS1734

8 port is a bit pricier at $500 list:

http://www.iogear.com/main.php?loc=product&Item=GCS1758&name=Miniview%20Ultra
+

And, to be complete, the two port KVM - $70:

http://www.iogear.com/main.php?loc=product&Item=GCS632U&name=MiniView%20Micr
o%20USB%20PLUS%20KVM%20Switch

All but the 8-port KVM include cables.

Lionel