[geeks] Older Intel Processors

Mike Meredith very at zonky.org
Tue Jan 2 13:44:32 CST 2007

On Tue, 2 Jan 2007 13:30:56 -0500, Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:
> On Jan 2, 2007, at 1:12 PM, Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
>
> > I'm looking to upgrade my mail server and I had a question.  Does
> > anyone
> > know if one 2.4GHz Pentium 4 outrun two 1.3GHz Pentium III's?
> >
> I would say yes it would.  Any loss would be made up in higher memory
> bandwidth, improving performance.

It may not be particularly noticeable on a mail server however. Mail
server performance is usually dominated by disk performance rather than
CPU or memory bandwidth. Of course a P4 era machine may have faster
disks than a P3 era one.

--
Mike Meredith (http://zonky.org/)
  ... indeed, there is something vaguely dishonourable in having lived