[geeks] bridging games

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Tue Jan 2 10:19:06 CST 2007

Mon, 01 Jan 2007 @ 12:22 -0500, James Fogg said:

> > Here's a game related question about routers:
> >
> > How do you play a network game across two private LANs?
> >
> > Most game software, if not using a public game server,
> > assumes that all machines are on the same subnet.
>
> NAT,

I'm doing that, and it doesn't appear to work.

I have a rdr rule:

rdr hme1 0/0 port <gameport> -> 192.168.1.10 port <gameport>

...rule in place in ipnat.conf. When a game client tries to browse, natd
does send the packets to 192.168.1.10, but the response never happens.

Is that at least the right idea, if not the exact configuration?

> tunnel,

make it work?

How would that be different from using NAT?

> bridge instead of route.

I can't do that, because both LANs are different subnets.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["All of us get lost in the darkness,
dreamers turn to look at the stars" -- Rush ]