[geeks] Macintosh computers and MAC address blocking

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Thu Feb 22 18:39:09 CST 2007

>From: "Geoffrey S. Mendelson" <gsm at mendelson.com>
>Date: 2007/02/22 Thu PM 02:25:18 CST
>To: geeks list <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: [geeks] Macintosh computers and MAC address blocking

<snip>

>So if you are still reading this, can one use the MAC address block
>to (theoretically) block Macintosh computers?

To allow for a wildcard would break the very concept of MAC address filtering - I've never seen a "wildcard" specification for this.

But, to answer half your question, manufacturers are assigned "blocks" or "ranges" of MAC serial numbers, if you were to learn the range, you could identify the Mfg. of the interface, and with a list of interfaces for a given manufacturers, you could, concieveably block out a particular manufacturer - if you had a wildcard function.

Sun MAC address start 00:08 and go on from there (IIRC), so something like 00:08:*:*:... could do it...

Lionel