[geeks] Best Vista story I've seen

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Wed Feb 21 19:18:17 CST 2007

On Wed, 2007-02-21 at 13:53, Sheldon T. Hall wrote:
> Quoth Sridhar Ayengar ...
> > Doug McLaren wrote:

> > > Not everything done on the big iron was serious :)
> >
> > Indeed.  Many of the first games ran on big iron.  8-)
>
> "My" first computer, an NCR 315, had wound core memory.  This put out a lot
> of RFI; so much so that we had a program that would broadcast Christmas
> carols to an AM radio sitting on one of the memory cabinets.  The commands
> in the programs were chosen for their RFI emissions, not their usefulness in
> context, so the program listing (in NEAT, a macro assembler) read like the
> result of some psychotic programmer's all-night drug-and-drink bender.
>
> At the conclusion of the carol program, it ran off a Snoopy calendar on the
> line printer.  I appropriated that code for the end of the annual 1099
> report the last year I was there.

Reminds me of the "music" you could make with the TRS-80s by placing an
AM radio (Radio SHack Flavor radios seemed perfect for the application,
just the right size)...

One example:
http://hardware.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=989&threshold=0&commentsort=0&mode=thread&cid=1733526

No relation to this: http://www.last.fm/music/TRS-80