[geeks] good source of cooling fans (for computers)

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Wed Feb 21 10:44:27 CST 2007

On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 09:30:03 -0600
"Chad McAuley" <chizad at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2/20/07, Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com> wrote:
> > I need to locate a 120 mm fan for a power supply.
> >
> > It has a Globe fan with a sleeve bearing, and the bearing rattles.  It's
> > driving me nuts so out it goes.
> >
> > I'm having a hard time finding a good quality replacement that matches
> > the specifications:
> >
> > 12V 0.52A
> > 1200-2400 rpm (power supply controls speed)
> >
> > I can find a ton of 120mm fans, but either they don't support that much
> > power, or the seller doesn't give the specs on the fan.
> >
> > I figure any 12VDC fan that can handle at least 0.52A should do the
> > trick.
> >
> > I'd like either dual-ball or fluid bearing. Might as well get one that
> > will last a long time.
> >
> > Favorite sources appreciated.
>
> I know www.nexfan.com carries all sorts of PC cooling kit.  I haven't
> ordered from them personally, but I've heard lots of good things.  I
> used to get my fans from millisec.com, but they closed up shop a
> couple years ago.  :(

They don't have what I need, unfortunately.

They carry a couple of nice Scythe fluid bearing fans which are supposed to
be nearly silent and last for many years, but I cannot find a Scythe fan that
runs at high amp/rpm.

The primary problem is that the vast majority of 120 mm fans on the market
are designed for computer and electronic equipment cases, and designed to be
quiet and run at fairly low rpm.

A power supply fan usually needs a higher amp/rpm rating because of the heat,
but they are nowhere near as popular, so it is harder to find them in the
noise.

--
shannon         | I want this Perl software checked for viruses.  Use Norton