[geeks] Best Vista story I've seen

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Wed Feb 21 09:57:52 CST 2007

On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 19:30:36 -0800
"Sheldon T. Hall" <shel at tandem.artell.net> wrote:

> quoth Lionel Peterson ...
>
> > Supposedly there was a network of Supercomputer Centers
> > available to the
> > public, funded by the federal government - there was one in NJ, and
> > another in Urbana, Illinois (where a certain fellow decided to write a
> > browser with some friends of his), and I think there were
> > three or four more, IIRC...
> >
> > The IDEA was that supercomputer time was available to educational
> > organizations, government organizations, and other, non-commercial
> > entities on a shared basis - not sure how it allplayed out...
>
> Nowadays, it's hard to give away computer time.  Every organization with a
> wallsocket seems to have more computer power than they know how to use.
> I've tried to give away time on my SGI Challenge to local (Seattle) medical
> researchers, with no takers.  I explain it to 'em, they say "Uh-huh," and I
> never hear anything more.  I've been reduced to running Distributed Folding
> (now concluded) and distributed.net just to keep the house warm.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has seen that.

I hear all the time that so many organizations and small businesses could use
computer power that they can't afford, but if you offer it, even for free,
there are no takers.

--
shannon           | Consulting wouldn't be what it is today without Microsoft