[geeks] Best Vista story I've seen

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Wed Feb 21 06:00:11 CST 2007

On Tue, 2007-02-20 at 21:28, Joshua Boyd wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 20, 2007 at 09:30:59PM -0500, Lionel Peterson wrote:
>
> > Supposedly there was a network of Supercomputer Centers available to the
> > public, funded by the federal government - there was one in NJ, and
> > another in Urbana, Illinois (where a certain fellow decided to write a
> > browser with some friends of his), and I think there were three or four
> > more, IIRC...
> >
> > The IDEA was that supercomputer time was available to educational
> > organizations, government organizations, and other, non-commercial
> > entities on a shared basis - not sure how it allplayed out...
>
> I was under the impression that they both made you pay through the nose
> to use it, and also justify your usage.

Well, based on my quick perusal of the web site, time is awarded based
on requests/proposals, but I see no indication on their web site about
cost/payment for computer time. You can request time for a project, or
for a course, in blocks of thousands of CPU hours as I read it.

The website: http://www.ncsa.uiuc.edu/

Lionel