[geeks] good source of cooling fans (for computers)

Tue Feb 20 21:07:46 CST 2007

> I'm having a hard time finding a good quality replacement that
> matches the specifications:

> 12V 0.52A
> 1200-2400 rpm (power supply controls speed)

*How* does the power supply control the speed?

> I can find a ton of 120mm fans, but either they don't support that
> much power, or the seller doesn't give the specs on the fan.

I don't see how a fan can "support that much power" or not.  I've never
yet seen a case where something will break if a fan draws .15A at 12V
instead of .52A at 12V.  The only way this makes any sense at all to me is
if it is being driven by a current-regulated (as opposed to the far
more common voltage-regulated) supply that insists on pushing .52A, and
expects the fan to drop 12V under those circumstances.

> I figure any 12VDC fan that can handle at least 0.52A should do the
> trick.

Have you considered taking a fan that draws less current and sticking a
resistor in parallel with it?

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML	       mouse at rodents.montreal.qc.ca