[geeks] Ultra 60/Enterprise 220r FYI

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Mon Feb 19 12:15:26 CST 2007

Hello all,

Came across some interesting info, thought I'd share so that others
would know (including our friends in google-land ;^).

I installed 2x 450 MHz CPUs into my Ultra 60 (the donor system I'm
testing, to repair a flakey E220r), and upon power-up, the banner
reported 2x UltraSPARC II 256 MHz.

It turns out you need an updated Open Boot PROM to enable the system to
identify 450 MHz CPUs properly. They system also appeared to pause after
system memory tests (not sure, I powered-down and hit The Fine Manual).

Turns out you need an OpenBoot PROM greater than 3.11 for a 450 MHz CPU
to be supported, so I had to update the OBP - no biggie, but:

I had to replace the 450s with a set of 300 MHz CPUs (one would suffice,
since I assume the OBP update program is singl-threaded :^)

Re-jumper the MB to support the 300 MHz CPUs (which involves removing
the first bank of RAM to get my big hands in to reach the jumper)

Set the MB to allow the Open Boot PROM to be re-programed (which
involved removing the P/S!)

Re-install the power supply and the first bank of RAM

Boot the system and download the latest Open Boot Prom update flash from
Sun.com and copy it to the / directory

Update the OBP by booting "boot disk /OBP" (I called the file OBP)

Shutdown the machine and write-protect the OBP (again, removing and
re-installing the power supply)

Jumper the MB to support 450 MHz CPUs (again, removing and re-installing
the first bank of RAM)

Replace the 300s with the 450s

Power up and marvel at the speed - "SNMP Baby!"

Ugh - what a process - it's like Sun doesn't want me to update the
system ;^)

The system is running VTS now to test/burn the U60 MB in the U60 - if
that goes well, I plan on re-seating everything in the E220r and
examining the logs - if that leads me nowhere, then I'll refer to the
manuals about removing the U60 MB and installing it in the E220r
chassis...

Lionel