[geeks] New Mail Client

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Thu Feb 15 16:53:30 CST 2007

On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 20:26:53 +0000
Mike Meredith <very at zonky.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 13:58:09 -0500, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> > Personally, I find the gtk2 version to be faster and smoother.
> >
> > It might be because gtk2 can use accelerated fonts and widgets.
>
> It might be because we have CPU to burn these days

True, but note that I said gtk2 appeared faster than gtk1.  With CPU to
burn, shouldn't I think gtk1 was even faster?

I think it might be related to how ugly gtk1 is on my system.  I might
be missing a library which would give me better performance or
something like that.

I upgraded a few things recently, so I could try building gtk-gnutella
with gtk1 and compare it to my normal build.  That program seems highly
affected by problems in the widget libraries.

> ... sylpheed gtk2
> under IRIX was definitely sluggish, but seems very fast on my Ultra
> 40.

gtk2 depends rather heavily now on accelerated widgets and fonts.

Before XRender was working, I found it too slow as well.

> > - imap not very fast
>
> I'm old-fashioned enough to prefer my mail folders to be stored
> locally, and living without imap seems to clear up quite a few of your
> problems. It can get bogged down when doing stuff in my spam folders
> though (in the region of 200MB).

My desktop isn't always running the same OS.  I access the same email
accounts from three different machines so local spooling is not
possible.

imap is pretty old now, and I see bad imap as a serious flaw whether I
use it or not.  Most people don't have a choice.

> Nice thing about the key bindings is that you can change them on the
> fly by pressing the key you want to bind to whilst the menu item is
> highlighted.

True.

I set some earlier today, but when I ran it again it had forgotten them.

Is there somewhere I need to go to save them?

--
shannon           | Work for something because it is good, not just
because | it stands a chance to succeed.