[geeks] pci express x8 video card?

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Thu Feb 15 12:44:17 CST 2007

On Thu, Feb 15, 2007 at 12:11:59PM -0500, Francois Dion wrote:

> There is also the external solution, but as you will see, it is about
> as cost effective as buying a brand new Ferrari Maranello as a NYC
> taxicab:
>
> http://www.nvidia.com/page/quadroplex_comparison_chart.html
>
> Mighty cool, but an order of magnitude too expensive. That would be a
> pretty cool hack to do something like that. It connects to the pci
> express bus of the server or workstation through a cable.

They aren't even the first ones to do it.

The Blackmagic Design Multibridge Extreme is a 1U rackmount box with a
DVI output port (among others) and a PCI-e cable thingy.  The card that
goes in the computer is basically a small angle adapter that takes PCI-e
4x out the back of the computer, with no active components on the card
(as I recall from seeing it at a trade show two years ago).  This can be
used as a secondary or tertiary display on a Mac, but is mainly used for
video capture and output, with the DVI port mainly being meant for
preview.

--
Joshua D. Boyd
jdboyd at jdboyd.net