[geeks] pci express x8 video card?

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Thu Feb 15 10:30:49 CST 2007

Francois Dion wrote:
> On 2/14/07, Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com> wrote:
>> Tue, 13 Feb 2007 @ 16:34 -0500, Francois Dion said:
>>
>>> Looking for an nvidia video card that is pci express x8, if there is
>>> such a thing? All I see is x1 or x16. Anything x4 or x8?
>> Yes, however, they are incredibly rare.
>>
>> They also cost more than x1 or x16 cards.
>
> Still, it might be worth it for me, do you have any links?

Yes, but they won't do you any good.  They are all listed as "sold out" or "no
longer available".

Every once in awhile you'll see one show up, but you have to be vigilant, and
they are getting more and more rare.

>> If you don't think an x1 card is fast enough, then get a 16x card,
>> and buy something called the "Orbit Micro Converter".
>>
>> http://store.orbitmicro.com/commerce/catalog/product.jsp?product_id=21199
>
> Yes, that's the product I mentionned earlier in the thread, but it
> would not be usable in my case (1U server).

That's too bad.

I would still call them though, because they say on their page they have other
options or something like that.  Maybe they could make one that is more of a
side-by-side attachment.

> So I wonder, how did Sun get around the issue of the pci express slot.
> And what about that 25w limit on the pci express bus, I wonder if a
> quadro fx doesn't draw more than that.

Most high end graphics cards have a power connector for extra amps.  That's
another thing you'll want to check on: do you have a way of supplying that
extra power.

--
shannon                      | governorrhea: