[geeks] New Mail Client

Micah R Ledbetter vlack-lists at vlack.com
Thu Feb 15 09:40:48 CST 2007

On Feb 15, 2007, at 03:09, Jochen Kunz wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 10:46:09 -0500 <kevin at mpcf.com> wrote:
>> Sylpheed-Claws rules! (GTK1 version anyway).
> Seconded. I use it for years. It runns fine even on a SGI Indigo2
> with a
> 150 MHz R4k4. Avoid the GTK2 version. It is buggy and slow. I really
> don't see a reason to use bloatware like Evolution or Thunderbird.

Well, while we just "have to say" things... :)

I've always felt that Sylpheed was completely unusable. It's been a
long time since I've used it (several years), so maybe it's change?
but whenever it was polling the IMAP server for *anything*, I
couldn't do a thing. The windows would go completely unresponsive
until the whole server transaction was complete.

This was the GTK1 version. I'm not even sure it had a GTK2 version
when I used it.

(FTR: I use Apple's Mail. I keep thinking to switch to something else
with better IMAP performance for folders with 10K messages and up,
but Thunderbird does about what I remember Sylpheed doing, and
nothing beats the search in Mail.)

  - Micah