[geeks] pci express x8 video card?

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Thu Feb 15 00:09:28 CST 2007

Wed, 14 Feb 2007 @ 22:37 -0500, Lionel Peterson said:

> On Wed, 2007-02-14 at 17:28, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> <snip>
> > Aside: I wish it were easier to snoop system busses so you could see what the
> > CPU and busses were doing while various programs ran.
>
> Like an IMSAI 8080? If so, sign me up! [0]

Well, not.

More like the performance counters in the CPU, but also some for the
chipset so you could get information about bus transfers and traffic,
kind of like CPU performance monitoring can show you memory accesses and
other CPU activity.

Then generate a summary to help you see where your system needs work.

Things like utilization of PCI bus, CPU->chipset, CPU->memory, PCIe
lanes and bandwith per lane, chipset->PCI, chipset->PCIe...

That sort of thing.

--
shannon / Well, I have entered the metallic years.  Silver in my hair, gold in
-------'  my teeth, lead in my ass...  -- Sheldon Hall